Area where maguey ‘Verde‘ ( A. scabraa) grows in Mexico. Brown fading represents density of plants in an area.
‘Mezcal’ Denomination of origin
Area where a distillate produced with an agave can be legally labelled as mezcal.
- No liters of certified mezcal were produced in 2019 with ‘verde’ (a. scabraa). An astounding mezcal that is nowadays available only in small batches locally.
- Extends over an area in Mexico roughly equivalent in size to the province of New South Wales in Australia.
- March to May (Flowering season)
- 10 to 12 years (Life expectancy / maturity)
- 500-2500 meters above sea level