Area where maguey ‘Tobalá‘ ( A. potatorum) grows in Mexico. Brown fading represents density of plants in an area.
‘Mezcal’ Denomination of origin
Area where a distillate produced with an agave can be legally labelled as mezcal.
- ~2% of all certified mezcal produced in 2019 was made with ‘tobalá’ (a. potatorum). Revered by many aficionados and mezcaleros in Oaxaca - where most mezcal is made in Mexico.
- Extends over an area in Mexico roughly equivalent in size to the state of Illinois in the USA.
- September to November (Flowering season)
- 10 to 12 years (Life expectancy / maturity)
- 300-2600 meters above sea level