Area where maguey ‘Espadín‘ ( A. angustifolia) grows in Mexico. Brown fading represents density of plants in an area.
‘Mezcal’ Denomination of origin
Area where a distillate produced with an agave can be legally labelled as mezcal.
- ~86% of all certified mezcal produced in 2019 was made with ‘espadín’ (a. angustifolia). Its popularity among mezcal fans comes from its easiness to drink, among mezcaleros due to its high yield.
- Extends over an area in Mexico roughly equivalent in size to the province of British Columbia in Canada.
- June to August (Flowering season)
- 6 to 8 years (Life expectancy / maturity)
- 30-1770 meters above sea level