Area where maguey ‘Cenizo‘ ( A. durangensis) grows in Mexico. Brown fading represents density of plants in an area.
‘Mezcal’ Denomination of origin
Area where a distillate produced with an agave can be legally labelled as mezcal.
- ~2% of all certified mezcal produced in 2019 was made with ‘cenizo’ (a. durangensis). Durango produces mezcal with several agave varieties, yet 'cenizo' is the local favorite.
- Distributed in Mexico over an area roughly equivalent in size to the state of New York in the USA.
- March to May (Flowering season)
- 10 to 12 years (Life expectancy / maturity)
- 650-2560 meters above sea level